I think i was always meant to be a mum. My maternal instincts kicked in around 12 years of age when my uncle and his wife gave birth to the most gorgeous set of twin girls i had ever seen.
I was smitten! And did everything i could to move myself in with them to take care of their every need.
As they grew up, of course i did too. I took a Child Care & Education CACHE level 3 diploma in College and passed my exam with a satisfactory grade B.
I was also pregnant at 18 years of age with my first baby. Not the news that every parent wants to hear and mine were of the view that I had ruined my life before it had begun.
No travelling across the world for me anymore (New York has always been my dream), and i hadnt even been to Disney World yet! Add to the fact that i had been with John for all of 3 months, you can imagine the scenario.
For me though, this was the one thing i had always wanted, and i knew deep down that i would be a young mum. Its what i was made to do and it was all i enjoyed in life. As a little girl i made up stories and drew pictures of families with lots and lots of little girls in dresses with blonde hair and blue eyes. I played barbies endlessly with my cousin and would always have mum, dad and as many children as i could find to add to my little family.
So you could say i always wanted a big family and it was in my nature to achieve this.
Through half of my pregnancy i secretly hoped i would be having a girl, but told myself it was a boy so that i wouldnt be disappointed. On the day of the 20 week scan we all went in and when the sonographer asked us all what we thought baby was, we all guessed 'boy'. 'Actually', he said, 'Its a girl'. We went into shock, and I dont think John actually spoke for about an hour afterwards. I was rejoicing inside! A little girl, pink things! Lovely outfits and matching shoes were all running through my mind at this time.
Fast forward through each subsequent pregnancy and we now have three beautiful girls aged 7, 4 and 3 who go by the names of Tayla, Katie and Sophie.
I always assumed i would have one of each, i never thought i would end up with three of one gender and none of the other. But here we are in a world of pink.
The thing about girls is they are notoriously messy. Growing up with a brother, it was always my room that was trashed while his managed to remain mostly tidy. I now have three girls who all share a bedroom. We have untold amounts of mess each day. They get out everything they own and this can include three changes of clothes per child per day, all my shoes scattered up and down the hall where they have been parading in them, dress up clothes everywhere, barbies, dolls, teddys, and everything princess!
So here are some facts about little girls;
Girls love to bake. Cakes, biscuits, anything where they can use pretty sprinkles and pink icing.
Girls love to dress up! Any chance they get to don a princess dress and pretty shoes, (or a halloween costume) they will take it
Girls always squabble and worst of all - tell tales constantly! 'Mummy, Tayla pushed me!', 'Mummy, Katie wont let me have a tuuurn' and so on. Boys tend to roll around on the floor for a few minutes to settle their disputes but we have no such luck with girls
Girls love to be best friends and hold hands. I constantly get told who is best friends with who and when i do something wrong, i am no longer their best friend anymore.
But most of all girls love to be special, pretty and made to feel like a princess. They love nothing more than a good dress, a pair of shoes and mummys make up. Girls love to make nice things for their parents, pictures, cards and other handmade items, and most of all they love to recieve a hug and have a story read to them.
Having three little girls is not what i imagined and I constantly get people who delight in telling me to wait until I have three teen girls, and I must have my hands full, and do I want to try for a boy?
But i wouldnt change it for the world!
But i wouldnt change it for the world!





you have beautiful girlies Nikki. why add a smelly boy to the mix ;)
ReplyDeleteLovely post. I love having girls too for all the reasons you've said. Not looking forward to the teen years though!
ReplyDeleteLoved this and rang so true! I love having 3 girls (I have an Emily, Sophie, Katie combination!) Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHow funny! (Having two of the same name lol) I love having 3 girls :)
ReplyDelete